Klisee tarkoittaa kulunutta ideaa tai ilmaisua eikä ehkä edusta luovinta kielenkäyttöä omassa äidinkielessä. Vieraassa kielessä taas latteudetkin kuulostavat hienoilta — ne vain pitää tietää ainakin suurin piirtein oikein. Ylppärikirjoitelmaan näitä sanontoja laitetaan sitten, kun niitä on jo aiemmin testattu kirjoitelmissa, niin että tietetään, miten niitä käytetään. Englantia kannattaa opetella kokonaisina merkityksinä paremminkin kuin päntätä yksittäisiä sanoja. Asiayhteys myös usein opettaa samalla oudon sanan. Lukeminen on jälleen kerran parasta harjoittelua: kieltä, fraaseja ja merkityksiä on nähtävä paljon, jotta ne jäisivät mieleen. Jotkut merkitykset voi jopa järjen avulla johtaa omasta kielestämme, mutta hyvin usein järjen käyttö ei toimi alkuunkaan. Siksi on tiedettävä, miten kohdekieli ilmaisee jonkin merkityksen. Muista aina, että kielenkäyttösi ei ole sanojen kääntämistä, vaan merkitysten tulkitsemista kohdekielelle ja silloin on mentävä kohdekielen ehdoilla. Kliseet eivät kuitenkaan ole autuaaksi tekevä tyylikeino ylitse muiden, kuten voimme havaita esseestä, joka on kirjoitettu pelkästään kliseitä käyttämällä. Enjoy!
Aivan loistava kliseekokoelma löytyy täältä. Kokeile hakutoimintoa ja ihastu.
Täällä on paljon kliseitä moneen elämäntilanteeseen.
Jos olet vaikkapa urheiluintoilija, nautit varmasti urheilukielestä, jota löytyy täältä. Selityksiä näemmä löytyy joka lähtöön.
- Täällävoit tulla hetkessä elokuva-asiantuntijaksi. Elokuvien “lainalaisuudet” paljastettuna. Hulvattoman loistava kokoelma.
- Täälläon sanastoja useimpiin aihealueisiin, jotka päähän voivat pälkähtää.
- Täälläon tyyppien lähettämiä kliseitä kommentteineen.
Voit huvitella satunnaisilla kliseillä täällä.
Kun olet näin päässyt kliseiden makuun, googlaa ‘cliches’ ja ota näiden sanontojen opettelu elämäntehtäväksesi.
Tässä alla yksi pläjäys kliseitä. Enjoy!
⋆Ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black.
⋆His records are selling like hot cakes.
⋆Stay cool. Don’t have a cow.
⋆I’m so hungry I could eat a horse.
⋆People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
⋆He can’t see the forest for the trees.
⋆He’s working like there’s no tomorrow.
⋆He’s busy from dusk till dawn.
⋆I could go on about this till the cows come home.
⋆What you did is too little too late.
⋆I’m damned if I do, damned if I don’t.
⋆Knock on wood!
⋆He’s walking on eggshells.
⋆Beggars can’t be choosers.
⋆She’s walking on thin ice.
⋆A rose is a rose is a rose.
⋆If you can’t walk the walk, don’t talk the talk.
⋆If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
⋆Only the strong survive.
⋆It all boils down to the survival of the fittest.
⋆The meek shall inherit the earth.
⋆Ask and you shall receive.
⋆Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
⋆It’s no use flogging a dead horse.
⋆There’s no honour among thieves.
⋆You can’t judge a book by its cover.
⋆This suit is fit for a king.
⋆Every rose has a thorn.
⋆Every dog has its day.
⋆When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
⋆If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.
⋆We are each the keepers of our own soul.
⋆I am my own redeemer.
⋆If everybody else jumped off a bridge, would you?
⋆Am I my brother’s keeper?
⋆If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
⋆His lifestyle is like an accident waiting to happen.
⋆That takes the biscuit!
⋆It ain’t over till the fat lady sings.
⋆I will continue seeing her through hell or high water.
⋆She’s digging her own grave.
⋆Oops! Did I put my foot in my mouth?
⋆You bit off more than you could chew.
⋆It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game.
⋆He’s livin’ in the fast lane.
⋆He’s always a day late and a dollar short.
⋆It’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.
⋆Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.
⋆Can you read between the lines?
⋆One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
⋆You made your bed, now you gotta lie in it.
⋆Aren’t you throwing the baby out with the bath water?
⋆He’s as stubborn as a mule.
⋆Are you throwing in the towel?
⋆Your guess is in the right ballpark.
⋆That’s out of this world!
⋆Well, I’ll be!
⋆I’m just staying one day ahead of yesterday.
⋆He’s just taking it one day at a time.
⋆I’m up a creek without a paddle!
⋆There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
⋆Out of sight, out of mind.
⋆Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
⋆Do I look like I was born yesterday?
⋆Looks like someone hit you with an ugly stick.
⋆Does a bear shit in the woods?
⋆Were you born in a barn?
⋆He ran out of the building like a bat out of hell.
⋆You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.
⋆Romantic novels like this are a dime a dozen.
⋆Do you have skeletons in the closet?
⋆Money doesn’t grow on trees.
⋆I’m caught between a rock and a hard place.
⋆Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
⋆You better straighten up and fly right.
⋆I’ll go out with you when hell freezes over!
⋆Or when pigs fly.
⋆A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
⋆A penny saved is a penny earned.
⋆This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
⋆What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
⋆Love it or leave it.
⋆I killed two birds with one stone.
⋆If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.
⋆You’re one in a million!
⋆He’s just another face in the crowd.
⋆The grass is always greener on the other side.
⋆It’s no use crying over spilled milk.
⋆He’s still wet behind the ears.
⋆You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
⋆The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.
⋆A watched pot never boils.
⋆Never say never.
⋆We all have our crosses to bear.
⋆Have a nice day!
⋆Let sleeping dogs lie.
⋆That’s the way the cookie crumbles.
⋆He’s on top of the world.
⋆The die is cast. ⋆What’s done is done.
⋆Et tu, Brute?
⋆He’s as right as rain.
⋆Judge not, lest ye be judged.
⋆Give an inch, take a mile.
⋆All’s well that ends well.
⋆Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.
⋆To the victor goes the spoils.
⋆Once bitten, twice shy.
⋆Better late than never.
⋆His hindsight is 20-20.
⋆If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.
⋆He’s as cool as a cucumber.
⋆Monkey see, monkey do.
⋆There’s something rotten in Denmark.
⋆One bad apple spoils the bunch.
⋆An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
⋆Many hands make light the work.
⋆A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
⋆Been there, done that.
⋆My sister had a shotgun wedding
⋆He’s in trouble with a capital “T”
⋆You’re shooting from the hip.
⋆It was a shot in the dark.
⋆I’m on a roll!
⋆A rolling stone gathers no moss.
⋆He could read me like a book.
⋆He’s a chip off the old block.
⋆I’ve been around the block a few times.
⋆This house is as old as the hills.
⋆He’s busy as a bee.
⋆Are you a doubting Thomas?
⋆Food and sleep have lately been catch as catch can.
⋆Stupid is as stupid does.
⋆You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
⋆We’re moving at a snail’s pace.
⋆She swears like a sailor/truck driver.
⋆She’s got a toilet mouth.
⋆There’s no time like the present.
⋆If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again.
⋆If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
⋆Were you raised in a sandbox?
⋆What will be will be.
⋆There are plenty of fish in the sea.
⋆It’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
⋆The emperor wears no clothes.
⋆Talk about the blind leading the dumb/naked!
⋆The only thing to fear is fear itself.
⋆You can go home. The buck stops here.
⋆The cat’s out of the bag.
⋆Opportunity only knocks once.
⋆You can’t pull yourself up by the bootstraps.
⋆It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.
⋆Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
⋆Women/Men, can’t live with ’em, can’t live without ’em.
⋆Can’t say, not knowing.
⋆The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
⋆Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
⋆If anything can go wrong it will (Murphy’s Law).
⋆The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
⋆The end justifies the means.
⋆What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
⋆You get what you give.
⋆What goes around comes around.
⋆When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
⋆It’s all Greek to me.
⋆It’s on the tip of my tongue.
⋆We can put a man on the moon but we can’t…
⋆What does that have to do with the price of rice/tea in China?
⋆I wouldn’t do that for all the tea in China
⋆The south shall rise again.
⋆What is this, the Spanish Inquisition / 20 questions?
⋆Quit giving me the 3rd degree!
⋆Speak of the devil (and there he comes).
⋆Look what the cat dragged in.
⋆Cat got your tongue?
⋆The prodigal son returns!
⋆Misery loves company.
⋆Don’t put the horse before the cart.
⋆It’s the lesser of two evils.
⋆Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
⋆The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.
⋆That’s a whole new can of worms.
⋆You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
⋆It’s a whatchamacallit / a thingamajig.
⋆An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
⋆It takes all kinds / sorts.
⋆He was at a loss for words.
⋆What goes up must come down.
⋆He was driving at breakneck speed.
⋆Wonders will never cease!
⋆Son of a gun!
⋆A word to the wise.
⋆Where there’s smoke there’s fire.
⋆He’s/She’s/It’s a thorn in my side.
⋆He’s rarin’ to go.
⋆He’s all revved up.
⋆Get the lead out.
⋆He was blue in the face.
⋆You better believe it!
⋆Give him/her enough rope to hang him/herself.
⋆Who died and left you the boss?
⋆When you gotta go, you gotta go.
⋆There may be snow on the roof, but there’s fire in the belly.
⋆That was the last straw.
⋆Her skin was smooth as silk.
⋆Physician, heal thyself!
⋆That’s like closing the barn door after the horse escapes.
⋆In one ear and out the other.
⋆It’s a jungle out there.
⋆There’s something in the back of my mind.
⋆Handy as a pocket on a shirt.
⋆It beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
⋆Life’s hard, then you die.
⋆Two heads are better than one.
⋆You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.
⋆A watched pot never boils.
⋆Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
⋆Whatever floats your boat!
⋆Whatever melts your butter!
⋆Children should be seen, not heard.
⋆Six of one, half dozen of the other.
⋆He’s as blind as a bat.
⋆It’s like trying to nail porridge to the wall.
⋆Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
⋆Life is like a box of chocolates (you never know whatcha gonna get).
⋆Too many cooks spoil the broth.
⋆So close, yet so far away.
⋆Close, but no cigar.
⋆Time flies when you’re havin’ fun.
⋆Things aren’t always what they seem.
⋆All that glitters is not gold.
⋆You can’t judge a book by its cover.
⋆It’s too close for comfort.
⋆It’s raining cats and dogs.
⋆There’s more than one fish in the sea.
⋆That was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
⋆He’s got more female company than you can shake a stick at.
⋆He who has the gold, rules.
⋆Grass doesn’t grow on a busy street.
⋆Time is of the essence.
⋆Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil.
⋆There’s only two things certain in life – death and taxes.
⋆Aw, prairie shit!
⋆Stick it to the man!
⋆He/she looks like a drowned rat.
⋆You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.
⋆It was as soft/smooth as a baby’s bottom.
⋆That’s music to my ears!
⋆She’s as pretty as a picture.
⋆He was hot under the collar.
⋆He can’t tell his ass from a hole in the ground!
⋆That’s a sight for sore eyes!
⋆We’ll leave at the crack of dawn.
⋆That’s neither here nor there.
⋆When the cat’s away, the mice will play.
⋆It’s built like a brick shit-house.
⋆Easy come, easy go.
⋆Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
⋆It happens once in a blue moon.
⋆You could hear a mouse piss on cotton.
⋆The glove don’t make the ball player!
⋆It’s like déjà vu all over again!
⋆It ain’t over till it’s over.
⋆Measure twice, cut once.
⋆Look before you leap.
⋆He was green with envy.
⋆Does a chicken have lips?
⋆It’s colder than a witch’s tit!
⋆A stitch in time, saves nine.
⋆He’s as useless as a screen door on a submarine.
⋆She’s as useless as a pocket in a pair of underpants.
⋆He’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
⋆The lights are on but nobody’s home.
⋆Blood is thicker than water.
⋆It’s gone belly up.
⋆Whatever flips your switch.
⋆Go for it!
⋆It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
⋆That’s like pantyhose on a mermaid.
⋆Ta ta for now!
⋆That’s making a world of difference!
⋆It’s hard making ends meet each month.
⋆Dare to be different.
⋆Do the wild thing.
⋆He’s two cans short of a six pack.
⋆You’d complain if you were hung with a new rope.
⋆No matter where you go…there you are.
⋆He/she has money to burn.
⋆He who hesitates is lost.
⋆The more the merrier.
⋆Two’s company, three’s a crowd.
⋆Those who have, get.
⋆The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
⋆Only time will tell.
⋆In for a penny, in for a pound.
⋆He’s lost like a ball in high weeds.
⋆Give it a rest.
⋆Well, spank my ass and call me Judy.
⋆That’s the bottom line.
⋆I’m a happy camper.
⋆Is the Pope Catholic?
⋆He’s so crooked they’ll have to screw him into the ground.
⋆Don’t even go there.
⋆I’ve got a good memory, but it’s short.
⋆Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
⋆Thanks for the memories!
- that’s just like the pot calling the kettle black.
- the early bird gets the worm
- good things come to those who wait
- early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
- a penny saved is a penny earned
- an apple a day keeps the doctor away
- don’t tempt fate
- don’t paint the devil on the wall (German)
- mind your manners
- don’t put all your eggs in one basket
- patience is a virtue
- look out for number one
- don’t let the bed bugs bite
- a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down
- wake up and smell the coffee
- stop and smell the roses
- it ain’t over till the fat lady sings
- wouldn’t kick her(him) outta bed for eatin’ crackers
- rough as a cob
- he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn
- is that a mouse in your pocket or are you just happy to see me
- he went the whole 9 yards.
- it’s not the heat it’s the humidity
- don’t burn your bridges
- he’s so ugly, he’d have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink
- she’s been hit with an ugly stick
- it’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
- this hurts me worse than it does you
- when life gives you lemons make lemonade
- six of one and half a dozen of another
- to each his own
- colder than a witch’s tit in a brass bra
- keep your eye on the ball
- put the pedal to the metal
- make tracks
- make like a tree and leave
- everything’s coming up daisies
- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
- put your heart into it
- break a leg
- I ought to tan your hide
- nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof
- hotter than a snake’s ass in a wagon rut
- shoot it straight
- tighter than a drum
- like a dog chasing cars
- six feet under
- sink or swim
- she’s taking the bait
- they’re like two peas in a pod
- she’s getting the red carpet treatment
- birds of a feather flock together
- It takes two to tango
- two’s company, three’s a crowd
- don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched
- nothing ventured nothing gained
- better late than never
- you gotta put your foot down
- he’s pulling your leg
- she’s tugging on your chain
- a jack of all trades and a master of none
- that’s water under the bridge
- that’s rubber on the side of the road
- we’ll jump that fence when we get to it
- we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it
- she’s got money to burn
- he’s dressed to the nines
- we’re gonna tie one on tonight
- kick the bucket
- get the lead out
- pull a fast one
- pulled the wool over my eyes
- put that in your pipe and smoke it
- stick it where the sun don’t shine
- they’re getting hitched
- they’re jumping the broomstick
- maybe something will jog your memory
- don’t jump to conclusions
- don’t call us, we’ll call you
- put a cork in it
- he’s always blowing his own horn
- sometimes you just gotta let your hair down
- you can’t judge a book by its cover
- you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet
- I have a bone to pick with you
- check’s in the mail
- slower than a seven year itch
- more fun than a barrel of monkeys
- silence is golden
- keep your nose to the grindstone
- the squeaky wheel gets the grease
- make like a baby and head out
- he’s pushing up daisies
- he’s chomping at the bit
- in seventh heaven
- every cloud has a silver lining
- buy the farm
- bite the dust
- eat my dust
- we’re going to burn the midnight oil
- a watched pot never boils
- on the other hand
- the shoes on the other foot now
- he speaks with a forked tongue
- if I were in his shoes
- it’s on the tip on my tongue
- she’s burning her candle at both ends
- from the frying pan into the fire
- Nice guys finish last
- Whoever dies with the most toys wins
- When the going gets tough the tough get going
- Take it like a man
- the blind leading the blind
- come hell or high water
- that’s enough to piss off the Pope
- she has bats in her belfry
- barking up the wrong tree
- what goes around comes around
- flat as a pancake
- numb as a hake
- sharp as a tack
- stiff as a board
- doing the horizontal bop
- riding the wild pony
- sharp as a sack of wet mice
- sweating blood
- sweating bullets
- you can’t squeeze blood out of a turnip
- and you can take that to the bank
- keep the home fires burning
- spare the rod, spoil the child
- making the beast with two backs
- in the red (black)
- mind your own business
- mind your p’s and q’s
- you’re driving me insane
- haven’t got a row to hoe
- if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em
- straight from the horses mouth
- if it’s not one thing it’s another
- raining cats and dogs
- happy as a clam
- running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off
- like a fish out of water
- like a broken record
- if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
- straighten up and fly right
- don’t look a gift horse in the mouth
- buckle under
- buckle down
- keep your shoulder to the wheel
- a stitch in time saves nine
- throwing out the baby with the bathwater
- give an inch, and he takes a mile
- cut off your nose, to spite your face
- go the extra mile
- for want of the nail, the shoe was lost
- pay attention to details
- don’t air your dirty linens in public
- bury the hatchet
- stepping on people’s toes
- he’s gone to ground
- in full cry
- dead as a doornail
- off the top of my head
- that’s icing on the cake
- you can’t have your cake and eat it too
- he gave a hundred and ten percent
- flown the coop
- well I’ll be a monkeys uncle
- open a can of worms
- stir up an ant’s nest
- don’t upset the apple cart
- feel like a fifth wheel
- jump on the bandwagon
- resting on one’s laurels
- waiting for the other shoe to drop
- shooting for the moon
- go with the flow
- playing with fire
- testing one’s mettle
- like lambs to the slaughterhouse
- a bull in a china shop
- thick as a brick
- I’ve got a monkey on my back
- that’s a load off my mind
- she’s got eye’s in the back of her head
- no skin off my back
- missed by a hair
- missed the boat
- pay an arm and a leg
- pay a king’s ransom
- he’s fishing for compliments
- watching the clock
- playing the field
- live and let live
- let sleeping dogs lie
- caught red-handed
- caught with his hands in the till
- caught with his pants down
- the grass is always greener on the other side
- I trust him as far as I can throw him
- get on her high horse
- get on her soap box
- when hell freezes over
- snowball’s chance in hell
- hot enough for you?
- look before you leap
- he who hesitates is lost
- something rotten in the state of Denmark
- busy as a bee
- she is a loose cannon
- to lie down with lions
- take your fate into your own hands
- to cry wolf
- lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas
- whistle in the dark
- a shot in the dark
- speak of the devil
- all roads lead to Rome
- when in Rome, do as Romans do
- sleep like a log
- it’s a dog-eat-dog world
- fiddling while Rome burns
- rubbing salt in his wounds
- chip on his shoulder
- pain in the (ass,neck,butt)
- licking one’s wounds
- rules are made to be broken
- he knows which side his bread is buttered on
- betting the farm
- I smell a rat
- eat crow
- you drive me up a wall
- the exception that proves the rule
- the hand that rocks the cradle
- red herring
- on a wild goose chase
- fan the flames
- fight fire with fire
- fire in the belly
- ace in the hole
- bee in her bonnet
- ace up his sleeve
- ants in his pants
- butterflies in his stomach
- a taste of his own medicine
- you made your bed, now your gonna have to lie in it
- hot under the collar
- bite the bullet
- bill the cat
- naked as a jaybird
- pure as the driven snow
- when it rains, it pours
- fit to be tied
- dressed to kill
- armed to the teeth
- toe the line
- march to the beat of a different drummer
- keep a stiff upper lip
- beggars can’t be choosers
- you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink
- don’t rock the boat
- being led down the garden path
- like taking candy from a baby
- like shooting fish in a barrel
- you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
- a feather in his cap
- pull a rabbit out of a hat
- carrying coal to NewCastle
- high as a kite
- running with wolves
- as beautiful as the day is long
- ugly as sin
- he looks like death warmed over
- caught in the crossfire
- pass the buck
- play hot potato
- make hay while the sun shines
- you reap what you sow
- closing the barn door after the horse has bolted
- once bitten, twice shy
- never say never
- it’s darkest just before the dawn
- weather the storm
- sail (ride off) into the sunset
- opportunity doesn’t knock twice
- carpe diem (seize the day)
- take the bull by the horns
- beating a dead horse
- pin your hopes on something
- up to his ears in trouble
- he’s a fall guy
- spinning your wheels
- a cult of personality
- fight like a man
- the more the merrier
- he has a few loose screws
- he’s not playing with a full deck
- what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
- I’ll be damned
- reopen an old wound
- stranger in a strange land
- his eyes are bigger than his stomach
- he’s bitten off more than he can chew
- hanging onto mother’s apron strings
- play both ends against the middle
- putting the cart before the horse
- walk softly and carry a big stick
- no use crying over spilled milk
- paint the town red
- paint oneself into a corner
- pray to the porcelain god
- a hair of the dog that bit you
- it’s all in your head
- I’d lose my head if it wasn’t attached
- the tide’s beginning to turn
- looks like there’s a new sheriff in town
- hide the salami
- do the wild mambo
- that really brings it home
- take this job and shove it
- how’s it hanging
- the long arm of the law
- always look on the bright side
- read the handwriting on the wall
- get down to brass tacks
- he’s waiting for his ship to come in
- win one for the gipper
- blood is thicker than water
- the straw that broke the camel’s back
- the last straw
- like looking for a needle in a haystack
- bring home the bacon
- a blast from the past
- a rolling stone gathers no moss
- don’t bite the hand that feeds you
- man’s best friend
- till the cows come home
- free as a bird
- fit as a fiddle
- he’s a smooth operator
- I have no bones about that
- it’s not written in stone
- no accounting for taste
- one size fits all
- that’ll be the day
- as the crow flies
- drunk as a skunk
- on the edge of your seat
- set your teeth on edge
- curiosity killed the cat
- a fool and his money are soon parted
- a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step
- a man’s home is his castle
- a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link
- home is where you hang your hat
- a mind is a terrible thing to waste
- all the world’s a stage
- money is the root of all evil
- necessity is the mother of invention
- unlucky at cards, lucky in love
- fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me
- you only live once
- easy as pie
- third times a charm
- a rose by any other name would smell as sweet
- it’s only a matter of time
- time heals all wounds
- caught between a rock and a hard place
- caught between Scylla and Charybdis
- banging your head against a brick wall
- people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones
- he let the cat out of the bag
- he spilled the beans
- she got called up on the carpet
- neither a borrower not a lender be
- he has egg on his face
- that’s it in a nutshell
- whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger
- there’s no such thing as a free lunch
- the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away
- all that glitters is not gold
- all’s well that ends well
- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
- build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door
- boys will be boys
- cutting through all the red tape
- three sheets to the wind
- not rowing with both oars
- his elevator doesn’t go to the top floor
- she’s lost her marbles
- the buck stops here
- neither here nor there
- join the ranks (396)
- the light’s on but nobody’s home
- fake it till you make it
- that’s a real stem-winder
- right on the money
- hit him right between the numbers
- I’ll bet a dollar to a donut
- horny as a three peckered billy goat
- like getting your tit in the wringer
- like balling the jack
- like walking on eggshells
- let them eat cake
- life is a bowl of cherries
- get along like oil and water
- went over like a lead balloon
- you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear
- as many chins as a Chinese phone book
- madder than a wet hen
- the devil must be beating his wife
- down the hatch
- finders keepers, losers weepers
- a friend in need, is a friend indeed
- grist for the mill
- shoot the breeze
- go for broke
- thick as pea soup
- strong as an ox
- more cliches than you can shake a stick at
- went belly up
- slippery as an eel
- that’s the way the cookie crumbles
- one taco short of a combination plate
- things are not always as they seem
- not just another pretty face
- no skin off my back
- see the world through rose colored glasses
- living in an ivory tower
- skating on thin ice
- burning rubber
- he’s a dark horse
- played me for a fool
- took me to the cleaners
- black as pitch
- slow as molasses in January
- burning up the track
- a horse of a different color
- it’s neck and neck
- time to pay the piper
- practice makes perfect
- twist of fate
- the quiet before the storm
- faster than a speeding bullet
- no guts no glory
- I’m on a roll
- nothing to sneeze at
- put your money where your mouth is
- right as rain
- between the devil and the deep blue sea
- once in a blue moon
- I’ve been had
- I could eat a horse
- dog tired
- waiting with baited breath
- out for a Sunday stroll
- tooth and nail
- hook, line, and sinker
- preaching to the choir
- making a mountain out of a molehill
- a frog in my throat
- he’s milktoast
- the greatest thing since sliced bread
- money makes the world go round
- the old ball and chain
- faster than greased lightning
- put a little elbow grease into it
- smooth as a baby’s bottom
- two left feet
- all thumbs
- she has a green thumb
- left-handed compliment
- if looks could kill
- you can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think
- the devil made me do it
- I need that like a hole in the head
- I need that like a moose needs a hat rack
- feed a cold, starve a fever
- a man for all season’s
- here’s mud in your eye
- see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil
- crying crocodile tears
- scared stiff
- screaming bloody murder
- variety is the spice of life
- a picture’s worth a thousand words
- happy as a pig in mud
- growing like a weed
- hard as a rock
- dumb as a post
- stop on a dime
- quiet as a mouse
- still as a church mouse
- sawing a log
- his bark is worse than his bite
- truth is stranger than fiction
- where do you draw the line?
- it’s nothing earth-shattering
- if you can’t find it, grind it
- it’s cutting edge
- too many cooks spoil the broth
- too many cooks in the kitchen
- where there’s smoke there’s fire
- never take a shower with a cat duct taped to your chest (c)
- dry as a bone
- old as the hills
- don’t want to cover old ground
- built like a tank
- throw in the towel
- that’s a wrap
- bury your head in the sand
- he lost his shirt
- opened a can of worms
- don’t push your luck
- on cloud nine
- it’s not whether you win or lose it’s how you play the game
- winning isn’t everything
- haste makes waste
- off the cuff
- the cream of the crop
- will miracles never cease
- who died and made him king (God)?
- my cup runneth over
- methinks she doth protest too much
- you can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys
- don’t toot your own horn
- in one ear and out the other
- out of the blue
- got you over a barrel
- time flies when you’re having fun
- keep your eyes peeled
- he’s got a cob (bug) up his ass
- knock ’em dead
- we’re really going to town
- keep ’em flying (keep your spirits up)
- close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades
- lift your game (get your act together)
- get stuffed
- there’s a sucker born every minute
- there’s one in every crowd
- good as gold
- on him like ugly on an ape
- back to the salt mines
- run like the wind
- fly by the book
- a good beginning makes a good ending
- absence makes the heart grow fonder
- actions speak louder than words
- nutty as a fruitcake
- ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies
- don’t change horses in midstream
- every man has his price
- faith can move mountains
- good fences make good neighbors
- half a loaf is better than none
- is the glass half-empty or half-full
- he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword
- history repeats itself
- if the shoe fits, wear it
- if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
- it’s an ill wind that blows no good
- it’s not over till it’s over
- many hands make light work
- never put off until tomorrow what you can do today
- opposites attract
- out of sight, out of mind
- still waters run deep
- the more things change, the more they stay the same
- the pen is mightier than the sword
- two heads are better than one
- waste not, want not
- in every life a little rain must fall
- the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
- born with a silver spoon in his mouth
- with one hand tied behind my back
- get a grip on yourself
- get a handle on this
- she wouldn’t know me from Adam
- he went to the school of hard knocks (university of life)
- I’m not a rocket scientist (it ain’t rocket science)
- keep on your toes
- she’s fighting a losing battle
- drown your sorrows
- you have to separate the chaff from the wheat
- cut to the chase
- at the drop of a hat
- so quiet you could hear a pin drop
- he’s changing his tune
- go out on a limb
- that’s the way lady luck dances
- nothing to fear but fear itself
- see you later, alligator
- the pick of the litter
- not worth a hill of beans
- if the mountain won’t come to Mohammed, Mohammud must go to the mtn.
- that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee
- home is where the heart is
- get it outta my hair
- the strongest steel is cast in the hottest fire
- simple pleasure are the best
- I’m gonna lay down the law
- sleep with the fishes
- curse a blue streak
- to err is human, to forgive divine
- given to him on a silver platter
- take it or leave it
- worthless as tits on a boar
- horny as a peach-orchard boar
- haven’t seen hide nor hair of him
- life goes on
- she could test the patience of Job
- she wears her heart on her sleeve
- right up your alley
- crazy/mad as a march hare
- mad as a hatter
- tempest in a teacup
- taking his pound of flesh
- neither fish nor fowl
- pleased as punch
- put your foot in your mouth
- shoot yourself in the foot
- roll with the punches
- rule with an iron fist
- gird your loins
- handle it with kid gloves
- get your ducks in a row
- two wrongs don’t make a right
- have ’em in stitches
- he won, hands down
- I quit smoking cold turkey
- crossing the Rubbikon
- it’s never too late to learn
- you can’t teach an old dog new tricks
- a half-baked idea
- a good rule of thumb
- a diamond in the rough
- he’s the south end of a north bound horse
- the tables are turned
- a chip off the old block
- up a creek without a paddle
- jockeying for position
- wearing the big girlie blouse (Australian)
- don’t be such a big girl’s blouse (English)
- no pain, no gain
- you’re off your rocker
- you drive me nuts
- I’m going bananas
- blue in the face
- seeing red
- you drive me crazy
- time is money
- that’s just the tip of the iceberg
- I’m gonna clean your clock
- he’s built like a brick shit-house
- just like riding a bike
- music has power to soothe the savage beast
- picture perfect
- what’s good for the goose is good for the gander
- penny for your thoughts
- time waits for no man
- time is of the essence
- big as life
- the twilight years
- lighter than air
- trouble with a capital `T’
- ignorance is bliss
- you only hurt the one you love
- the bigger they are the harder they fall
- misery loves company
- for pete’s sake
- the eyes are the mirrors (windows) of (to) the soul
- the sky’s the limit
- say yer prayers (…rabbit)
- them’s fightin’ words (Bugs to Yosemite)
- on equal footing
- for crying out loud
- she has everything but the kitchen sink
- from the four corners of the earth
- he left no stone unturned
- lit (cocked) to the gills
- half seas over
- under the sauce
- fried to one’s tonsils
- full to the back teeth
- primed to the sticking point
- have a jag on
- under the table
- in bed with one’s boots on
- that’s pretty run-of-the-mill
- he got plastered
- he’s so matter-of-fact
- she threw a wet blanket on my idea
- it took my breath away
- caught me off guard
- when the cat’s away, the mouse will play
- get down to the nitty gritty
- get down to bare bones
- the bottom line
- the lowest on the totem pole
- at the end of the pecking order
- he’s hen pecked
- in for the long haul
- over the top
- over the edge
- just around the bend
- you must be out of your mind
- a pink elephant
- he’s over the hill
- she’s out to lunch
- I’ll punch his lights out
- she’s not the brightest bulb on the patio
- least said soonest mended
- I busted my hump
- signed, sealed and delivered
- threw a curve ball
- pennies from heaven
- laughing all the way to the bank
- taken with a grain of salt
- long in the tooth
- right on the nose
- don’t be a stick in the mud
- give me a hand
- try your hand at something
- cool your jets
- keep your shirt on
- he got the short end of the stick
- going to hell in a hand basket
- the whole kit and caboodle
- I was roped into it
- cry me a river
- that was cold-blooded
- couldn’t make heads or tails of it
- run the gauntlet
- hold your horses
- hit the road
- lift myself up by the bootstraps
- one good turn deserves another
- better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
- beauty is only skin deep
- for everything there is a season
- doing something (ie. shooting ducks) left and right
- we’ve hit paydirt
- cruisin’ for a bruisin’
- there’s more than one way to skin a cat
- playing possum
- cold as blue blazes
- earned his wings
- wet behind the ears
- a faint heart never a true love knows
- something you can really sink your teeth into
- the truth hurts
- pay the dept of nature
- nature’s first green is gold
- passed with flying colors
- that’s old hat
- in the buff
- (be it ever so humble) there’s no place like home
- sick as a dog
- flying by the seat of your pants
- take it to the limit
- go out in a blaze of glory
- follow suit
- wearing nothin’ but his birthday suit
- what you see is what you get
- the proof is in the pudding
- we’re sitting ducks
- too rich for my blood
- hoist with (or by) one’s own petard
- love conquers all
- love is blind
- in for a penny, in for a pound
- to live from hand to mouth
- that gets my goad
- that chaps my hide
- that burns me up
- whatever tickles your fancy
- you could knock me over with a feather
- there’s no time like the present
- I could whip you with one arm tied behind my back
- sitting on the fence
- I’d rather be a hammer than a nail
- if I had a dime for every . . .
- on the run
- there’ll be hell to pay
- when the shit hits the fan
- he has a way with words
- there’s something fishy about that
- a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough
- what in tarnation
- tarred and feathered
- walking on air
- walking on sunshine
- dat dawg don’t hunt no more
- don’t get your panties (shorts) in a bunch
- in the money
- had his bell rung
- went through the roof
- don’t know shit from shinola
- got taken for a ride
- she’s all twitter-pated
- never pet a burning dog
- that hits the spot
- mares eat oats and does eat oats
- you could put your eye out
- even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes
- don’t take any wooden nickels
- one brick short of a load
- happy as a lark
- tit for tat
- all’s fair in love and war
- I’m in hog heaven
- holier than thou
- dance with the devil
- flirt with disaster
- play the final card
- smart ass
- get a word in edgewise
- shiver me timber
- case in point
- tin ear
- she has pull (clout)
- go figure
- the everyman
- come again?
- eat dirt
- I got hosed
- the melting pot
- we’re not in Kansas anymore
- cold feet
- welcome to the club
- looks can be deceiving
- from day one
- now or never
- a shoestring budget
- make a fast buck
- what’s going down?
- what a tangled web we weave…
- love thy neighbor
- under my skin
- blown away
- time is up
- it stands to reason
- following in his footsteps
- face the music
- four on the floor
- in over your head
- coming apart at the seams
- busy as a bear in a beehive
- nervous as a whore in church
- grin and bear it
- tied up right now
- heard it through the grapevine
- got knocked up
- I wasn’t born yesterday
- give him a run for his money
- in the nick of time
- the luck of the draw
- got them by the short and curlies
- pull a boner
- ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country
- go where the green lights lead you
- to the victor go the spoils
- come up short
- I’m not getting any younger
- her biological clock is ticking
- big brother is watching
- talking to ralph on the big white telephone
- count your blessings
- two sides of the same coin
- in a pig’s eye
- get the show on the road
- not my cup of tea
- dyed in the wool
- pulling the wool over his eyes
- the devil is always ready to rock the cradle of the saint who sleeps
- beauty is a fading flower
- got your head in the clouds
- taking the scenic route
- putting the screws to him
- to assume makes an ASS out of U and ME
- memory like an elephant
- waking up on the wrong side of the bed
- he’s thinking with the wrong head
- this is for the birds
- penny wise and pound foolish
- cat got your tounge?
- if your foresight was as good as your hindsight, we would be better by a far sight
- so much bad in the best of us and so much good in the worst in us that it ill-behoves us to talk about the rest of us
- time will tell
- she’s in hot water
- time stands still
- not by the hair of my chinny chin chin
- pull your head out of your ass
- life’s a bitch (then you die; then you marry one)
- thank God it’s friday
- got your hand caught in the cookie jar
- life stinks
- shit happens
- it’s a freckle past a hair
- life’s too short
- hotter than a two dollar pistol
- you got your just deserves (desserts)
- there’s a first time for everything
- wash your mouth out with soap
- got a loaf in the oven
- as honest as the day is long
- when pigs fly
- it will be a cold day in hell
- you’ll know it when you see it
- God help us
- heaven help us
- God only knows
- better safe than sorry
- let’s tie the knot
- in the doghouse
- every which way but loose
- waking up with the chickens
- coming out of the closet
- putting his feet to the fire
- light as a feather
- there are starving children in Africa
- my stomach is tied up in knots
- it’s a long shot
- comparing apples to oranges
- children should be seen and not heard
- sweet 16 and never been kissed
- life is what you make it
- all in a day’s work
- for God’s sake
- full of hot air
- cute as a button
- pretty as a picture
- sweet as sugar
- something smells fishy
- does a bear shit in the woods
- couldn’t do it to save his (soul,hide)
- eat your heart out
- tickled pink
- to tell you the truth
- to be honest with you
- ugly as a mud fence
- sly as a fox
- fat as a cow
- fly by night
- dumb as a stump
- blind as a bat
- out like a light
- you lie like a rug
- trying to put a square peg in a round hole
- fine as wine
- be there or be square
- don’t be a party pooper
- read between the lines
- bottoms up
- busting a gut
- crammed in like sardines
- making him sing like a canary
- white as a sheet
- raking it in
- slick as snot on a glass doorknob
- you make a better door than a window
- Where’s the Beef?
- isn’t that special
- been there, seen it, done that
- life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get
- that’s all folks
- gag me with a spoon
- lying through your teeth
- everything’s copasetic
- my head is swimming
- under the gun
- full of himself
- sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me
- the gospel truth
- the best thing since little apples
- there’s a God and I’m not him
- that’s the $64,000 question
- hold down the fort
- I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition
- my little black book
- blue monday
- down to earth
- gathering like flies
- when the chips are down
- play the cards you’re dealt
- I’ve got other fish to fry
- she’s not the only fish in the sea
- turn over a new leaf
- a leopard doesn’t change its spots
- eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
- smarter than the average bear
- let me bend your ear
- I’ll fix your little red wagon
- it all boils down to this
- no way (or why) on God’s green Earth
- it’s not all it’s cracked up to be
- you win some you lose some
- as far as the eye can see
- throwing caution to the wind
- mind over matter
- like pigs in a poke
- (Doing something) to beat the band
- two of a kind
- queer as a three dollar bill
- tried and true
- better than ever
- good as new
- brand spankin’ new
- he learned his lesson
- a sweet deal
- fashion victim
- now or never
- now’s as good a time as any
- now’s your chance
- a little of this, a little of that
- took off like a shot
- took off like a bat out of hell
- bloom where you’re planted
- if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, again
- just fell off the turnip truck
- try as I might
- all talk and no action
- sleep like a baby
- a new lease on life
- catching some ZZZ’s
- don’t bite of more than you can chew
- don’t use a lot where a little will do
- take it and run with it
- fools rush in where angels fear to tread
- a good man is hard to find
- out with the old, in with the new
- keep your chin up
- pour it on thick
- made in the shade
- gone but not forgotten
- give it a rest
- give it the old college try
- sing like a bird
- that oughta tide you over
- torn asunder
- save by the bell
- can’t win for losing
- part and parcel
- …and Bob’s your Uncle (British/Australian)
- lock, stock, and barrel
- higgledy Piggledy
- Willy Nilly
- it was a piece of cake
- as plain as the nose on your face
- keeping (staying) on top of it
- the only difference between women and girls is the price of their pearls
- the cat’s meow
- the cat’s pajamas
- nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs
- give a little take a little
- give and take
- his left hand doesn’t know what his right hand is doing
- high hopes
- pat on the back
- raking in the dough
- rolling in the dough
- making money hand over fist
- got a hole in his pocket
- money burns a hole in his pocket
- snug as a bug in a rug
- live and learn
- penny pincher
- pipe down
- stow it
- clam up
- take a hike
- shove off
- let God sort ’em out
- don’t fire ’til you see the whites of their eyes
- light a fire under it
- got a leg up on it
- take him to task
- sing a few lines of old woop boodle doo — W.C. Fields
- come a’callin
- can’t for the life of me remember
- never hurts to try
- just washed my hair and cant do a thing with it
- spineless wimp
- life in the fast lane
- so many men so little time
- can’t blame him for trying
- cant say’s I would
- stupid (foolish) is as stupid (foolish) does
- monkey see monkey do
- cat got your tongue?
- you can dish it out, but you sure can’t take it
- flash in the pan
- step on a crack, break your mother’s back
- sing for your supper
- one toe over the line
- fresh as a daisy
- butter him up
- innocent as the day he was born
- don’t look back
- feast your eyes on this
- tackle my homework
- just a drop in the bucket
- cut the mustard
- cut the cheese
- can’t cut it
- petered out
- there for the taking
- there but for the grace of God go I
- old standby
- a stone’s throw away
- lesser of two evils
- so much for that
- stick with it
- tow the line
- put a monkeywrench in the works
- cat-like grace
- kitten on the keys
- old blowhard
- twice as nice
- takes its toll on you
- timing is everything
- stayed too long at the fair
- if God had meant for man to fly, he would’ve given us wings
- you bet your boots
- I’d bet my bottom dollar
- put up your feet and stay awhile
- tall tale
- fit to be hung
- fall through the cracks
- tall dark and handsome
- drive the point home
- playing hardball
- near and dear to my heart
- an earful
- easier said than done
- eat drink and be merry
- what’s a little ______ among friends
- far and away the best
- hard to swallow
- can’t beat that with a stick
- I hate to say this, but…
- built to last
- if I had a nickel for every time he _______, I’d be a millionaire
- distance makes the heart grow fonder
- keep your thoughts to yourself
- laughter is the best medicine
- smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone
- how do I love thee?
- watch and wait
- wait and see
- nary a word was spoken
- nip it in the bud
- nod off
- none too pleased
- unbeknownst to me/him
- knock it off
- a cheap knock off
- fine and dandy
- over and done with
- on to something
- open mouth, closed mind/ears
- all eyes/ears
- open and shut case
- pride before the fall
- contemplate my navel
- packing heat
- packing lead
- bags all packed and ready to go
- step on it
- peel out
- pick over the ruins
- queen for a day
- rally round
- raising cain
- raise the roof
- roaring fire
- robbing peter to pay paul
- rest assured
- ring in the new year
- rattle trap
- It sounds like a thrashing machine (courtesy of Julie’s father)
- rise and shine
- raise the dead
- wake the dead
- roll over in his grave
- stirring up trouble
- deep in thought
- ablaze with light
- stealing the show
- sounding off
- went storming off in a huff
- what are you stewing about?
- top of the morning
- trip the light fantastic
- tear into it
- like a bat out of hell
- teacher’s pet
- tickle the ivories
- all bets are off
- on bended knee
- under the weather
- cry uncle
- all is vanity
- waiting in the wings
- while away the hours
- world weary
- wish on a star
- (knows it) chapter and verse
- sick to death of it
- the lord moves in mysterious ways
- a lot of empty flattery
- stop the presses!
- filthy rich
- heavens to Betsy
- speaking in riddles
- its all Greek to me
- just admiring the view
- clash of the titans
- plenty to go ’round
- back to the drawing board
- say what you will….
- stick up for the little guy
- keeps her cards close to her chest
- spoil the fun
- barge right in
- on the house
- show some spine
- hate his guts
- slap on the back
- when push comes to shove
- lower the boom
- want my place in the sun
- fresh out of ideas
- on the level
- just as sweet as you please
- full of vinegar
- full of mischief
- cool as a cucumber
- pride before the fall
- will wonders never cease
- full of the devil
- blood brothers
- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
- bat the idea around
- make a big deal out of nothing
- done up like a Christmas tree
- sticks out like a sore thumb
- train of thought
- stuck in a rut
- its a sure thing
- flipped her lid
- on the double
- fat as a pig
- big as a house
- busy as a bee
- shirt off his back
- pretty penny
- rattle the rafters
- heaven sent
- face up to the facts
- I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy
- The road to ruin (hell) is paved with good intentions
- Is the Pope Catholic?
- If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
- seems just like old times
- It’s just one of those days, I guess
- I beg to differ
- sleeping her way to the top
- flattery will get you nowhere
- there ought to be a law against that
- frisky as a puppy
- damned if you do, damned if you don’t
- same ol’ same ol’
- stinking to high heaven
- nice day for a picnic
- flat as a board
- highway robbery
- your place or mine
- stick to your guns
- boy howdy
- take it easy
- in for a fleecing
- apple of my eye
- eye to eye
- eyeball to eyeball
- you’re the gleam in your father’s eye
- beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- same song and dance
- I bought it for a song
- harder for a rich man to go to heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle
- kick ’em when they’re down
- nothing new under the sun
- he’s a bubble shy of plumb
- doesn’t know if she’s washing or hanging out
- push the envelope
- the dog ate my homework
- the butler did it
- not enough room to swing a cat
- don’t hold your breath
- if you play your cards right…
- he’s gunning for a fight (or something)
- got off on the right foot
- he breasted his cards
- she’s an open book
- he’s an easy study
- better to remain silent and be thought a fool that to speak and remove all doubt
- my hair was on end
- you can never be too rich or too blonde
- sitting on pins and needles
- if it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
- old habits die hard
- Chuck-a-nana : throwing a temper tantrum (Australian)
- spit the dummy : more childish than chuck-a-nana (Australian)
- throw a fit
- you’re all wet
- he’s all hat and no cattle (added by popular demand!)
- never in a month of sundays
- take a long walk off a short plank
- I didn’t come down the Clyde in a banana boat (Scottish, Glasgow)
- like chalk and cheese (English)
- loud (something) as all get out
- mean as a snake
- the cat’s whiskers (English version of ‘the cat’s meow’)
- close enough for jazz
- close but no cigar
- close enough for government work
- if you can’t kill the king then don’t wound him
- he’s an inch deep and a mile wide
- Don’t get your knickers in a twist (english)
- he’s not the sharpest knife in the cabinet
- lightning never strikes twice
- No way, Jose
- smack dab in the middle
- carrot on a stick
- busy as a one-armed paperhanger
- Jiminy Christmas
- where the rubber meets the road
- the place was crawling with cops (hookers, something)
- kicked (took it) in the huevos
- stupid is as stupid does
- check it out
- might as well, can’t dance
- there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you
- success has a thousand fathers while failure is an orphan
- catch hell if I do, catch hell if I don’t
- can’t (won’t) get to first base with her.
- bite your tongue.
- bite your lip.
- threw up my hands (in concession/in disgust)
- the only people I trust are you and me , and I am not too sure about you!
- you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.
- the tale of the tape
- the tail that wagged the dog
- and we’re not just whistling dixie
- knock yourself out
- scraping the bottom of the barrel
- the whole shootin’ match
- one man’s meat is another man’s poison
- you say potayto, I say potahto.
- nice work, if you can get it
- show me the money!
- take it at face value
- slow and steady wins the race
- if you love something set it free
- turn the other cheek
- cleanliness is next to Godliness
- a necessary evil
- I never met a man (horse, etc.) I didn’t like
- a winning combination
- nice cage, no bird
- a few fries short of a happy meal
- a few sandwiches short of a picnic
- that’s like a turtle on a fence post
- is a frog’s asshole watertight?
- does the Pope wear a funny hat?
- every rose has its thorn
- a closed mouth gathers no feet
- make a statement without saying a word
- blunt words have the sharpest edge
- twiddling your thumbs
- get the peanut butter out of your ears
- who pissed in your Cheerios?
- Alrighty then!
- As if!!
- back in a sec
- my heart sank
- nice play, Shakespeare.
- you have to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything
- I have an ax to grind
- fall head over heels
- a far cry
- as welcome as a skunk at a lawn party
- he/she is as dense as a London fog
- that’s some ole good
- not for nothing, but…
- back in the saddle
- like water off a duck’s back
- like a duck on a June Bug
- Lord willin’ and the creeks don’t rise
- water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink
- the girl next door
- cold hands, warm heart
- the devil is in the details
- if you’ve seen one you’ve seen ’em all
- for the love of God/Pete/Mike
- gimme a break
- not for all the tea in China
- what’s that got to do with the price of eggs in chicago
- one man’s foul weather is another man’s fair
- the nail that sticks up gets hammered down
- little strokes fell great oaks
- when the tide goes out the rocks begin to show
- U is part of US
- when you start picking out people you start leaving people out
- talking out of your head
- the acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree
- glowing like a good deed in a naughty world
- the stronger the breeze the stronger the trees
- get ahead early and stay ahead late
- twice as strong as an ox and half as smart
- sweating like a pig
- you lie like a dog
- she drinks like a fish
- busy as a one-legged man in an ass kickin’ contest
- let’s get the ball rolling
- altitude is determined by attitude
- all dressed up and nowhere to go
- not even!
- runs like a top
- take it on the lam
- who could forget
- the one that got away
- he single handedly destroyed an empire
- it isn’t all sweetness and light
- that’s par for the course
- scattered to the four winds
- fleet footed (fleet of foot)
- staying power
- the belle of the ball
- creme de la creme
- foot loose and fancy free
- here’s your hat, what’s your hurry?
- an oldie, but a goodie
- roll out the red carpet
- you hit the nail on the head
- he was just a port in the storm
- all paled in comparison
- to feather your nest
- it’s got a great beat, but you can’t dance to it
- read it and weep
- that’s easy for you to say
- the night is young and so are we
- small world, isn’t it?
- that’s the long and short of it
- funny you mention it
- I haven’t a clue
- I haven’t the foggiest
- fair weather friend
- what on earth is wrong with me (you)?
- you’re dead meat
- thin as six o’clock
- flat as a long-poured champagne
- she gave me a withering glance
- a long ways away
- poker face
- they gave him carte blanche
- take off, you hoser, eh?
- driving the porcelain bus
- a face only a mother could love
- talking behind his back
- made it by the skin of my teeth
- quit horsing around!
- he’s all flibberty jibbets
- its a dog’s life
- treated like a dog
- how’s that for a ….
- well this is a fine how do you do
- I can’t stand it
- she’s hot to trot
- once in a dog’s age
- she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
- it was a white-knuckle ride
- what a way to go
- way to go Einstein!
- I’ll be the judge of that, thank you
- some things are better left unsaid
- why don’t we all chip in
- keeping the world safe for democracy
- he’s got more _____ (money,wives) than he knows what to do with
- I’ll see you in hell
- she’s ALL THAT
- bored to tears
- young, dumb and full of ,uh, … rum
- Ah, to be young and foolish…
- if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all
- But enough about me …
- just thought I’d throw that in
- sorry Charlie
- whatever turns you on….
- its all cut and dried
- that’s the whole ball of wax
- that’s the way the ball bounces
- well how do you like *them* apples?
- the more we learn, the less we know
- he made a mad dash for it
- it just goes to show…
- its like my daddy used to say
- don’t make me do something I’ll regret
- don’t do anything *I* wouldn’t do
- red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning; red sky at night, sailor’s delight
- he was the life of the party
- he was talking into his hat [lying]
- no one here but us chickens!
- my hat’s off to you
- kill ’em with kindness, I always say
- in a New York minute
- once in a coon’s age
- you can’t take it with you
- Halt! Who goes there!
- women and children first!
- all for one, and one for all
- every man for himself!
- am I my brother’s keeper?
- he/she was like a brother/son/father/sister/mother/daughter to me
- batten down the hatches, lower the boom, raise the misenmast: full speed ahead!!
- it’s a one-horse town
- they threw the book at him
- this town’s not big enough for the two of us
- get outta town by sundown
- fancy meeting you here..
- peaches and cream complexion
- going against the tide
- there now, that wasn’t so bad, was it?
- smart cookies don’t crumble
- eager beaver
- happy camper
- the full monty
- whatever floats your boat
- it’s a catch 22
- if you were any closer, it would bite you
- I’ll procrastinate later
- why do today what you can put off ’til tomorrow
- you wash my back, I’ll wash yours
- that sucks!
- a shotgun wedding
- a real gulley washer
- a new do
- close only counts in horseshoes
- I’m gonna wash that man right outta my hair
- your ass is grass
- that’s skull duggery
- idle hands are the devil’s workshop
- idle chit-chat
- dumb like a fox
- busy hands are happy hands
- the nail that sticks up gets pounded down (Japanese)
- ignorance of the law is no excuse
- love and hate are two horns on the same goat
- run with the fox and bark with the hounds
- already got one paw on the chicken coop
- oh, to be a fly on the wall
- snow job
- there’s more where that came from
- just what the doctor ordered
- golly gee willikers!
- blaze a new trail
- love is a many splendored thing
- he’s really on the ball
- touchy feelie
- he’s a corn-fed hick
- that argument doesn’t hold water
- the fickle finger of fate
- he’s feeling his oats
- she’s out sowing her wild oats
- darting to and fro
- he’s a bald faced liar
- now this won’t hurt a bit
- he’s really laying it on thick
- don’t have a cow
- this could be the start of something big
- don’t fly off the handle
- name your poison
- name that tune
- gave it a wide berth
- steer clear of it
- by all means, after you
- I can’t tell you what a pleasure its been / It’s been a pleasure
- that’s about the size of it
- it was an ill-fated idea
- he put one over on me
- you can’t put anything past her
- is nothing sacred?
- banding together to beat the odds
- I’ll leave you with something to chew on
- tingling with anticipation
- its all topsy turvy
- staring off into space/nowhere
- everything’s hunky dory
- a mexican standoff
- hanky panky
- he’s scared of his own shadow
- let’s forge ahead, shall we
- what’s cookin’ good lookin’?
- I put two and two together…
- oh, woe is me
- he can’t see the forest for the trees
- hotter than a mouse in a wool sock
- quit while you’re ahead
- a white elephant gift
- that baby runs like a scalded dog
- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
- Not a spinning wheel in the kingdom and then you prick your finger!
- It’s autumn in her mouth and all her tongue can do is rustle!
- Dressed better than Sunday!
- Came to the conclusion of his travelling thoughts!
- He was Aladdin in an orchard dripping with diamonds!
- Plain as a rainy Tuesday!
- The glass of the mirror simply melted away!
- Good one!
- Smart is better than Stupid.
- No shit, sherlock.
- One for the books
- Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t.
- Some pots you don’t stir
- Hugged him closer than peel does a banana
- If his word were a bridge – you’d be afraid to cross!
- Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
- Tell your story walking
- On ya bike! (Australian?)
- the show must go on
- Any friend of _________’s is a friend of mine.
- Mi Casa es Su Casa.